So You Think Short Domains Are Cool?!

Well I won't lie, I thought so too, until I bought a novelty domain that surprisingly catches my eye every time I see it. Not only that, but the traffic to my personal site has dramatically increased, and I don't even advertise it. Start-ups that use .io TLDs and short names think they are being hip and even clever. The reality is, they're just setting the standard that .io is only for "modern" information technology companies. If I saw pants.io, right away I assume that it must be a website about selling or crowd-funding a new pant product that has some microcontroller embedded in it that does something fancy, like maybe record the amount of times you sit and reports it to your smartphone to be readily available to share on Facebook. Maybe in reality it's a new JavaScript API proxy that exposes a handful of functions that allow to make your own pizza then order it, and the only reason why they called it pants.io is because it was short, they consider themselves modern, and thus needed a .io TLD. Oh, and they wear exotic types of pants at work, or so they claim. Alternatively, pants.io could be a couchdb framework that prevents itself from shitting...Could have a nice slogan, "Wear the Pants, Be the Boss". Yeah that wasn't my idea (thanks ##programming).


I can't believe this is real. Potential pants.io owner.

Today I propose something crazy, and would love to see become popular: long domain names. Not only long but descriptive and accurate. Even though 63 characters isn't that long, it is long enough to describe most things. The entire domain can expand up to 2000 characters (and further on other browsers).

Here is a great example of a long domain that is memorable. OK maybe not entirely memorable but it at least can be searched for:
This is the only example of a long domain that is accurate that I can find quickly. Any term I search for returns short domains. Where is "the-best-pizza-place-on-earth.com"? As of writing this no one has bought it. For $12 a year you can have the best pizza business domain name on the Earth. This is why I've bought "is-an-information-technology-professional.com". It accurately describes what I do for work, professionally. Better yet, it is adaptable to anyone who wants to consider themselves an IT pro. What I mean by this is you can have anyone's name in it: johnny-bravo.is-an-information-technology-professional.com. If you'd like a sub domain just email me and I will point your request to your server. Or maybe I'll put it on FreeDNS or a similar service. One last benefit I can think of are the SEO properties of long domains because the nature of their descriptiveness, but I'm not entirely sure if search engines count this information towards their page ranking algorithms.

Next it's time to play the Alternate Reality game. Lets imagine this was how things are today. Instead of google.com, there could be search-for-any-term-and-get-results-now.com (another domain no one has bought yet...); facebook.com could be connect-with-friends-and-family-from-anywhere.com; instagram.com could have a more interesting arrangement of sub domains: pictures-of.dogs.on-the-only-site-with-a-picture-of-everything.com. It is very easy to have creative and memorable URLs, even though they are long.


I'd use that.

Alright that's enough crazy alternative reality nonsense for one day.

Seriously though, wouldn't it be interesting?

Comments

  1. And now try to get FOREIGN people remember your domain when they don't know the words it consists of. "Facebook", "Google" are made-up words and they're short. You can say two words: "pants" and "io" and people could type that regardless of their knowledge about pants. You say ""is-an-information-technology-professional.com" and suddenly a visitor has to know English grammar to type that properly with a right "an", not "a information", right "is", not "are"… etc.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts